I’ve been browsing various websites for a while now looking for things to buy. I stumbled across a mill vice stop but wasn’t willing to pay for it.
I looked at a few designs online and decided on my plan.
I chose some stock from the shelf some 30×16 bar stock mild steel. I then cut a bit off on the bandsaw and cleaned one edge.
I then reamed three 6mm holes into the part holding the middle one short which was drilled for an M6 nut. I then milled a groove into the underside of the part.
Ignore the messy bench.
Once that was done, I sawed the part in half along the length of the groove then cleaned up the faces.
I pressed some pins into the outermost holes and tapped the central hole M6.
I then turned a thumbscrew on the lathe (sorry no pic of that happening).
Here is the assembled part. Once I was happy with the fit, I heated it to a bright red and dropped it into a can of old diesel engine oil. Word to the wise. Be careful doing this in a well ventilated area as oil burns when introduced to hot metal… Well hot anything tbh. Luckily it was only singed hair.